From The Hollywood Reporter:
“The Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard, and Lucasfilm is also considering movies centering on Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among other characters.”
“Disney has been developing several standalone pics with the goal of keeping fans buying tickets while they wait for the next episodes in the main new trilogy. “Rogue One” was the first of the standalones, and Disney is currently shooting an untitled origin tale of beloved smuggler Han Solo. Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie.”
From The Hollywood Reporter:
“Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ new hope.
The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars standalone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporterhas learned.
Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass. It’s not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.
The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among others.”
“Composer John Powell, who may be best known for his memorable soundtracks to the Matt Damon Bourne series, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda (1 and 2), and How to Train Your Dragon (1 and 2), will be lifting the baton to score the upcoming young Han Solo movie, due in theaters next year.
Powell, a London native, has written music for dozens of films since moving to the US in 1997, earning an Academy Award nomination for his stirring score to How to Train Your Dragon. Powell is only the third composer to be welcomed into the exclusive family of Star Wars live-action music writers, which includes the legendary John Williams (the eight Skywalker saga movies) and Michael Giacchino, who scored last December’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The untitled Han Solo movie will be scored in the style of the original Star Wars movies but retain Powell’s distinctive voice.”
George Lucas says he thinks Ron Howard “will be great” as the Han Solo movie new director. But he won’t advise him. “Not my job”, says the maker.
Reminder: Lucas directed Howard in American Graffiti (1973), and he made him direct Willow (1988) for Lucasfilm.
The newly appointed Han Solo movie director Ron Howard had a certain influence on The Phantom Menace. According to visual effects supervisor John Knoll, Howard advised George Lucas to extend a particular moment in the podrace sequence, which he did.
Source : The Phantom Menace audio commentary
The newly appointed Han Solo movie director Ron Howard had defended Jake Lloyd and The Phantom Menace against an insulting article published in Newsweek, in 1999.
Here is an excerpt from Jonathan L. Bowen’s Anticipation:
Despite the engulfing media coverage, a small backlash began early in 1999, which later became a greater menace to Star Wars fans. On January 18, Newsweek published an article titled, “Buzz Wars, Episode One: The Backlash Menace.” The brief article declared that a backlash against the film had already begun and the deafening hype could damage the prequel’s success. Most importantly, the magazine stated, “Insiders call 9-year old Jake Lloyd (who plays Anakin Skywalker) ‘Mannequin Skywalker’ — word is he stinks.”
Former child actor Ron Howard, who is also close friends with George Lucas, came to Lloyd’s defense in a letter published in the February 1 issue of Newsweek. He called the earlier article “snide and insipid” but was especially offended by the publication’s comments about the young actor. He wrote, “The potshot at [Lloyd] was downright irresponsible. I seriously doubt the ‘insiders’ you mention are inside enough to have seen an edited version of the new Star Wars, because I have, and in my opinion, Jake is terrific in the film (which, by the way, is truly amazing).” He further condemned the magazine by stating, “For Newsweek to attack a child’s performance based on rumor and without even having seen the movie is shameful.”
Check out the article and Howard’s letter below (source: Slate)
Reminder: the newly appointed Han Solo movie director Ron Howard had revealed that George Lucas asked Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis and Howard himself to direct The Phantom Menace.
Source : Happy Sad Confused Podcast (11/22/2015)
UPDATE : Howard had later clarified that there wasn’t a script yet.
(This video was dug out by MakingStarWars)